Health and Safety Campaigns
Rail Safety Week 2023 Campaign
The goal of Rail Safety Week in Canada is to help raise awareness of the need for rail safety education and empower the public to keep themselves safe near highway-rail grade crossings and railroad rights-of-way. While the statistics on railway crossing and trespassing incidents has dropped over the past few years, one incident, fatality, or serious injury is still too many.
This year our Health and Safety Department is sponsoring a Rail Safety Colouring Contest for our employees’ children/grandchildren to enter. Follow the directions below to win!
- Colour the Rail Safety Colouring Contest image attached.
- Fill out the contact information at the bottom of the page.
- Take a photo of your completed artwork.
- Email it to our Marketing Department at email@example.com.
- The first 25 entries submitted will be awarded a prize.
- The contest is open to Universal Rail Systems and subsidiary companies' employees’ children/grandchildren under the age of 16.
- One entry per child.
- The entry deadline is September 24, 2023, at 5:00 pm (MST).
- The completed Rail Safety Colouring Sheet, child’s first name, and age will be shared via our social media accounts.
- By submitting an entry, you acknowledge that you have the authority and provide consent to share the child’s submission on social media.
10 Safety Laws of Universal Rail System Campaign
The health and well-being of employees and customers is Universal Rail Systems’ top priority and developing a strong Health and Safety culture is essential in achieving this.
During the 2019 work season we are actively promoting our 10 Safety Laws Campaign through safety moments, social media, text message, webinars, job briefings, and field toolbox talks with the objective of creating awareness around one of our company’s core values – “With unyielding integrity, we are 100% Committed to the Safety of all Employees”.
The 10 Safety Laws of Universal Rail Systems are:
LAW #1: I will report to work “FIT FOR DUTY”.
LAW #2: I will always PARTICIPATE in a hazard Assessment and job briefing BEFORE starting my work day.
LAW #3: I will CONFIRM that I have the necessary track protection in place BEFORE conducting ANY work “on or near live tracks”.
LAW #4: I will ALWAYS perform my own Field Level Risk Assessment BEFORE starting my assigned job duties.
LAW #5: I will report ALL accidents or incidents as soon as it is safe to do it.
LAW #6: I will IMMEDIATELY voice an alarm if ANYONE is in the “Line of Fire”.
LAW #7: I take full RESPONSIBILITY for the operation and condition of the vehicle that I am driving.
LAW #8: I will LOCK OUT and de-energize any sources of energy as per manufacturer’s guidelines BEFORE I begin ANY maintenance work on equipment.
LAW #9: I will NOT work above 10 ft. without conducting a HAZARD ASSESSMENT to ensure the requirement of proper FALL PROTECTION and PPE.
LAW #10: I will NEVER back-up my vehicle or equipment without first CONFIRMING that it is safe to do so and use a spotter when one is available.