WHO WE ARE:
At Universal Rail Systems, our work is getting and keeping Canada’s railway operators in motion – safely and sustainably! We work coast-to-coast, in every railway sector, and on any size project. Our commitment is service excellence and offering our clients exceptional value. Within our team, we call this Doing It Right !
Reporting to the Manager - HSE, the HSE Advisor is responsible for providing leadership and support for our HSE management system. This includes providing advice and consultation; coaching and facilitation; incident investigation and injury management, and any necessary reporting and record-keeping. This is primarily a field-based position with the potential of travel.
- Provide advice and consultation for programs in support of our corporate strategy for strong safety performance and continuous improvement.
- Duties include but are not limited to investigate processes; support management with the collection and tracking of all safety-related metrics.
- Timely provision of advice and documentation to facilitate investigations.
- Manage injury claims and regulatory reporting associated with those claims, assistance with providing safety-related training, Coordinate and prepare HSE documentation that is commonly used by the business units.
- Other duties include design and create a site or project specific safety plans if required by management, assist with the creation of strategic initiatives to help with the client interface, Analyze
- safety conditions (primarily field-based) and recommend changes to continuously improve operational safety performance.
- Assist with the maintenance of records as necessary to comply with relevant laws and regulations, prepare and submit reports to document both compliance and non-compliance issues.
- Assist supervisors with their audits and inspections of operational activates.
- Other duties include reviewing existing safety systems and making recommendations for improvements.
- Proactively identify plans to reduce hazards and risks to the organization.
- Assist with various programs and initiatives to build and sustain a safety culture that becomes a “way of life” for employees and contractors.
- Take an active role in ensuring that all employees understand and comply with company policies and procedures.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and ABILITIES:
The successful candidate for this role will demonstrate the following skills and experiences:
- Understanding of health and safety practices
- Railroad and/or construction experience
- Knowledge of provincial safety and worker’s compensation legislation
- Injury management experience
- Field safety auditing and investigation experience
- Strong interpersonal, communication and customer service skills
- Proven proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook)
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment
- Demonstrate ability to perform maturely and professionally ensuring complete confidentiality of sensitive and confidential information
- Demonstrate the ability to think critically, act logically to evaluate situations, solve problems, and make decisions
- Attention to detail
- Coaching and training skills
- Bilingual is an asset, but not required
- A Degree/Diploma/Certificate in Health and Safety, or equivalent training and experience
- A professional designation ( CRSP, CSP, CHSC, P.Eng), is a strong asset
- Strong Understanding of health and safety practices
- Railroad and/or construction experience is considered an asset
- Ability to travel. This position will be based out of Ontario with the potential of travel anywhere in North America
WHAT WE OFFER:
- an exciting work environment that is continually evolving
- competitive salaries
- generous benefits package
Our selection process includes a background check, as per our clients’ requirements.
We would like to thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Universal Rail Systems is an Equal Opportunity Employer.